The Invergordon Archive
Unknown Year: 1939Flying Boat Floating Dock
This floating dock, built in 1921 at the Royal Dockyard at Sheerness, arrived at Invergordon in 1938 (see picture #1380). This picture, believed to have been taken early in 1939 shows the craft undergoing trials with a Sunderland Flying Boat in the Firth. The distinctive skyline of the north shore east of Invergordon can be seen with snow on the ground.
In 1941 the craft was at Sullum Voe, Shetland, then in 1943 at Port Ellen, Isle Of Islay, in 1944 at Oban, in 1945 back at Alness, and in 1947 was sold out of service.
Picture added on 18 January 2012 at 10:00
This picture is in the following groups