The Invergordon Archive
John Robertson Year: 1939Handley Page Harrow
In September 1939, No. 8 Air Observers School was formed at Evanton and operated Harrows, Henleys, Wallaces and Battles.
The first Air Gunners course stated in October 1939. The photo shows a Handley Page Harrow flying from Evanton. Gunners could be taken up six at a time to use either the nose, mid-upper or tail gun turrets. Each gunner had ammunition marked with a different coloured 'paint'. The gunners fired at ground target or drogues which were towed behind aircraft such as the Westland Wallace, Hawker Henley, and later, Westland Lysander. The different coloured bullets left coloured bullet holes in the targets and drogues, so the accuracy of different gunners could be assessed.
Picture added on 22 November 2010 at 09:54
This picture is in the following groups