The Invergordon Archive
John Robertson Year: 1938Handley Page Heyford
In 1937 the expansion of the runways and facilities at RAF Novar enabled larger aircraft to use the airfield for the newly formed No. 8 Armament Training Camp. The station name also changed to RAF Evanton.
Some of the first aircraft to use RAF Evanton were Handley Page Heyfords from 6 and 99 Squadrons. The Heyford entered service in 1930 and was the RAF's last biplane heavy bomber.
The photo shows a Heyford of 99 Squadron being attacked by a Hawker Fury, or possibly Hawker Nimrod (Fleet Air Arm version of the Fury). This was a typical activity for an Armament Training Camp.
Picture added on 22 November 2010 at 09:49
This picture is in the following groups